Just like humans, our best friend the dog, can also get diabetes. Although diabetes in dogs is a serious problem, it is manageable. The goal of managing diabetes is to maintain glucose levels to an acceptable range while avoiding hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
In this article we would like to share a couple of homemade diabetic dog food recipes. But before we do that, let’s address the common symptoms associated with dog diabetes.
Symptoms of Diabetes in Dogs
As a dog owner, there are certain symptoms of diabetes that can help you identify if your dog may have it.
- Excessive thirst – If your dog is drinking frequently and empties the water bowl more than usual
- Increased Urination – If your dog starts having accidents in the house, or wants to go out often to urinate, they may have it.
- Weight loss – despite eating normally, your dog may be losing weight.
- Increased hunger – The dog can be very hungry all the time because the body’s cells aren’t getting all the glucose they need, even though the dog is eating a normal amount.
So, are you looking for inspiration on what to feed your diabetic dog? We’ve compiled 2 easy to make recipes that won’t hurt your hands or your wallet. Check them out below.
Homemade Diabetic Dog Food – Recipe 1
For our first recipe, the Ingredients are:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/2 cup chicken
- 1/2 tbsp. corn oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup green beans (fresh or canned)
- 1 tsp. dicalcium phosphate (check with your veterinarian to see if your dog needs this supplement)
Homemade dog food recipes for diabetic dogs are really easy to make.
First, bring the water to a boil. Add the rice, salt and corn oil. Let this mixture simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix it all together until completely blended. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
And that’s it. Wait for the food to cool before serving!
Homemade Diabetic Dog Food – Recipe 2
For our second recipe, the ingredients are:
- 1 cup boiled lean meat
- 1 cup cooked whole grain (brown rice or pearl barley)
- 1 cup chopped raw vegetables (you can choose any of the above mentioned veggies)
Mince meat and mix it with whole grain. Add veggies and a serving of cottage cheese (around ¼ cup) and give it to your dog to eat. You are free to alter this recipe as per your choice. Just make sure you have one part meat, one part whole grain, one part raw veggies, and a quarter part of some milk product.